Restored Ridgmont Station Now Open!
I am delighted to inform you that the five-year refurbishment programme of Ridgmont Station House is complete and the building is now open to the public!
The station is one of the oldest railway buildings in the county dating back to 1846, but has largely been redundant since the late 1960s It is the last remaining station building on the line not to have been renovated and refurbished for either private or commercial use.
Come and see the ticket office as it used to be in Victorian times and tell us what you would like to see in the Heritage Centre, which is opening spring 2014! Free entry!
Other facilities include:
- Tea room - menu includes tea, coffee, range of freshly made sandwiches, soup & crusty bread, cakes & cream teas
- Gift shop - a range of railway books, DVDs of the blockbuster 'One Day' (part of which was filmed at Ridgmont Station), cards and toys
- Tourist Information Point
- Meeting room avaialble for hire at competitive rates
- Plus walks from the station for all abilities - including the Greensand Ridge Walk - seewww.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/environment/countryside/greensand-ridge-walk.aspx
The tea room is open all year round on Mondays – Saturdays from 9:00 - 4:00 and the gift shop & ticket office are open from 10:00 – 3:45 on Tuesdays – Saturdays until 2nd November.
Please see for www.marstonvalecommunityrail.org.uk/ridgmont-station-building-the-first-dayfor a summary of our first day and a few photos!
Three offices are available for rent in the upstairs rooms; two of which have been provisionally let. Please contact me to discuss rates.
The building is leased from Network Rail and managed by Bedfordshire Rural Communities Charity - visit www.bedsrcc.org.uk for a flavour of our work.
Can you help us with this exciting project? We would welcome offers for the following:
- Volunteers to welcome visitors to the building, assist with sales in the gift shop and show visitors aroud the restored ticket office - training & support provided
- Exhibits for the Heritage Centre, either on a loan or donation basis; we are particularly interested in old photos of the station and surrounding area.
Look forward to seeing you!
Why not combine a visit to Ridgmont Station to one of our other attractions for a great day out by train?
A couple of stops away is:
Forest Centre & Millennium Country Park
Jump on the train to Millbrook, gateway to the spectacular Millennium Country Park. It’s a pleasant walk or cycle ride to the Forest Centre, with shop, café and new play area! 10% discount for Marston Vale passengers on tea, coffee and cake in the café! Offer until 30th September. Bikes can be taken on the train at no charge.
Visit www.marstonvale.org/new-play-area-the-most-funnest-thing for further information on the exciting new playground!
There are lots of other ideas for days out on our website - www.marstonvalecommunityrail.org.uk/days-out
Keep in touch with our Facebook updates www.facebook.com/marstonvalecrp and you can follow us on Twitter too - @marstonvalecrp!
Marston Vale Community Rail Partnership Officer
Tel. 01234 832645 (direct line)